prepared by Bernard K. Means
Free software for creating and editing digital models
Free sources for digital models
3D scanners (very small selection of those available)
3D printers (very small selection of those available)
References, News, and Guides to 3D printing, scanning and photogrammetry
- Cultural Heritage Imaging (2017) Photogrammetry Examples and 3D Information. Electronic document, https://vimeo.com/246538349, accessed December 12, 2017.
- Dehue, Robert (2017) A List of 32 Affordable 3D Printers Under $500 USD. 3D Printing.com. Electronic document, https://3dprinting.com/3dprinters/40-affordable-3d-printers-on-sale-under-500-buy-now/, accessed November 7, 2017.
- English Heritage (2017) Photogrammetric Applications for Cultural Heritage. Electronic document, https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/photogrammetric-applications-for-cultural-heritage/, accessed November 20, 2017.
- English Heritage (2011) 3D Laser Scanning for Heritage: Advice and guidance to users on laser scanning in archaeology and architecture. Second Edition. Electronic document, https://content.historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/3d-laser-scanning-heritage2/3D_Laser_Scanning_final_low-res.pdf/, accessed November 20, 2017.
- French, Yvonne (2017) 3D replicas create museums where touching is encouraged. The National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped Quarterly Newsletter, April to June. Electronic document, https://www.loc.gov/nls/about/news/quarterly-newsletter-news/april-june-2017-newsletter/#_3d, accessed July 10, 2017.
- Hugo, Kristin (2017) 3-D Printing Allows Blind People to ‘See’ Civil War Artifacts at Virginia Museum. Newsweek, published October 19, 2017. Electronic document, http://www.newsweek.com/3d-printing-blind-can-see-museum-artifacts-688008, accessed October 20, 2017.
- Jennings, Alastair (2017) 3D Printing Troubleshooting: 34 Common 3D Printing Problems. All3DP. Electronic document, https://all3dp.com/1/common-3d-printing-problems-troubleshooting-3d-printer-issues/, accessed November 13, 2017.
- Lievendag, Nick (2017a) The Beginners Guide to 3D Scanning & Photogrammetry on a Budget. 3D Scan Expert. Electronic document, https://3dscanexpert.com/beginners-guide-3d-scanning-photogrammetry/, accessed August 15, 2017.
- Lievendag, Nick (2017b) Photogrammetry Drag Race: Remake Vs. Photoscan Vs. Realitycapture Vs. Zephyr. 3D Scan Expert. Electronic document, https://3dscanexpert.com/photogrammetry-benchmarks-remake-vs-photoscan-vs-realitycapture-vs-zephyr/, accessed November 7, 2017.
- Lozova, Lana (2017) Enhancing Archaeological Research with 3D Printing. com, June 7, 2017. Electronic document, https://ultimaker.com/en/stories/49698-enhancing-archaeological-research-with-3d-printing, accessed June 7, 2017.
- McNeill, Brian (2015b) At Virginia Museum of Natural History, students help design exhibit on Virginia exploration. Electronic document published October 1, 2015, https://news.vcu.edu/article/At_Virginia_Museum_of_Natural_History_students_help_design_exhibit, accessed October 1, 2015.
- Means, Bernard K. (2013) Toward a Dynamic—and Virtual—Public Archaeology. Society for Historical Archaeology Blog. Posted June 11, 2013. Available online at: http://www.sha.org/blog/index.php/2013/06/toward-a-dynamic-and-virtual-public-archaeology/
- Means, Bernard K. (2014) Virtual Curation and Virtual Collaboration. In Blogging Archaeology, edited by Doug Rocks-Macqueen and Chris Webster, pp. 121-144. Landward Research, Ltd. In Association with Succinct Research and DIGTECH LLC. Available online at: https://www.academia.edu/8143403/Virtual_Curation_and_Virtual_Collaboration._In_Blogging_Archaeology_edited_by_Doug_Rocks-Macqueen_and_Chris_Webster_pp._121-144._Landward_Research_Ltd._In_Association_with_Succinct_Research_and_DIGTECH_LLC
- Means, Bernard K. (2017) Printing the Past: 3D Printed Artifact Replicas Aid in Research, Education. Research & Development Magazine 59 (3):20-23. Electronic version, https://www.rdmag.com/article/2017/10/printing-past-3d-printed-artifact-replicas-aid-research-education, accessed October 14, 2017.
- Means, Bernard K., Ashley McCuistion, and Courtney Bowles (2013) Virtual Artifact Curation of the Historic Past and the NextEngine Desktop 3D Scanner. Technical Briefs in Historical Archaeology 7:1-12. Peer reviewed article available online at: http://www.sha.org/documents/VirtualArtifacts.pdf.
- Milsaps, Bridget Butler (2017) 3D Printing Eliminates the ‘Look, Don’t Touch’ Rule for Archaeologists, Students & Museum Visitors. 3DPrint.com. Electronic document, https://3dprint.com/179019/3d-printing-virtual-curation/, accessed June 29, 2017.
- Millsaps, Bridget Butler (2015) Visualizing & Exhibiting Anthropology: VCU Students 3D Scan, Print & Hand Paint Hundreds of Artifacts for Virginia Museum of Natural History Exhibit. Electronic document published October 16, 2015, http://3dprint.com/101074/3D-ARTIFACTS-MUSEUM-EXHIBIT/, accessed October 18, 2015.
- Selden, Jr., Robert Z., Bernard K. Means, Jon C. Lohse, Charles Koenig, and Stephen L. Black (2014) Beyond Documentation: 3D Data in Archaeology. Texas Archaeology 58 (4):20-24. Available online at: http://www.txarch.org/Publications/newsletters/index.html
- Villalobos, Cristian (2017) Photogrammetry 101. Electronic document, https://skfb.ly/6sKDR, accessed December 18, 2017.
Blogs of Interest
Additional references and news can be found here: https://vcuarchaeology3d.wordpress.com/research-activities-in-the-virtual-curation-laboratory-publications-presentations-or-demonstrations/